forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4446  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Denise Larkin
Date:  Thu Feb 8, 2001  10:33 pm
Subject:  Sign Writing for the severely mentally retarded

I have a question for the group.
A friend of mine has worked in the past with severly mentally retarded
clients. She was telling me of the challenges the clients have trying to
find their own bedrooms or the bathroom. When I started teaching her Sign
Writing, she came up with an idea of using it to help the severely mentally
retarded to find their rooms by using it as a visual sign posted by each
door. (wow I hope that made sense)IE: bathroom, bedroom etc. Does anyone
know if this has been done anywhere already, and if so was it successful?
Thanks for the help,
Denise Larkin
in Arizona

  Replies Author Date
4447 Re: Sign Writing for the severely mentally retard Valerie Sutton Fri  2/9/2001
4448 Re: Sign Writing for the severely mentally retard Dana Srebrenick Fri  2/9/2001
4449 Sign Writing for the severely mentally retarded Valerie Sutton Fri  2/9/2001

  Message 4446  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index