forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4450  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Feb 9, 2001  4:02 pm
Subject:  Teacher's Web Report, North Carolina

February 9, 2001
SignWriting List

WEB REPORT
For Participating Teachers

Robin Homesley
Teacher of the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing

Donna Thompson
Lead Interpreter

Union Pines High School
Union Church Road
Cameron, North Carolina, 28326

> 1. Why do you want to learn SignWriting?

We want to explore avenues that will help our students to learn to read at a
higher level than they presently are reading on. One method alone can not
"solve" the problems our students have when reading. We want to try
everything possible, and one of our interpreters has tried SW with a
profoundly deaf, mentally disabled teen-ager with success. We want to
continue that success with her, and try this method with the other students.

> 2. What have been some of your past frustrations when teaching?

One frustration has been the limitations with using one method of teaching
reading that has had very limited success with very few of the deaf and hard
of hearing students. Another frustration has been the apparent lack of
support from the home (for whatever the reason).

> 3. Are you hoping that SignWriting might help? If so, in what way?

Yes, I am hoping that SW will help the students with their reading in areas
of their life (home, school,...). I hope that the families of these
students will take an interest in SW too.

> 4. The SignWriting Teacher's Forum has a free web page for you and
> your students, to use in anyway you wish, just as long as it relates
> to SignWriting. For example, you can post your opinions about
> SignWriting, or you can post student's writing assignments. How would
> you like to use your web page?

I would hope that we could use the Web page to post students' works and the
Program's opinion (at times). The primary focus would be on the students
and their needs. Our goal---to improve the reading level and language base
of each of the SW participants.

> 5. Please write any other information about your group that you would
> like to share. You are welcome to write as much as you wish! Human
> interest stories will help us get to know you. It will make following
> your progress with SignWriting that much more exciting!

The Program for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing serves three schools
(elementary, middle, and high). There will be at least one student from
each school participating in the SW project. Not all of the students are
deaf, and not all of the students are ASL user. Students on different
reading and ability levels will be used to compare the success level we
encounter. We look forward to this challenge !

> 6. We understand that this report and all other reports will become
> public information and will be posted to the SignWriting Email List
> and posted on the SignWriting Web Site. You have our full permission
> to use the information as needed.

Please send SignWriting materials for 2 number of teachers and 7 number
of students.

Thank you for considering us for your project.

Sincerely,
Name- Robin Homesley, Teacher
Donna Thompson, Interpreter
Union Pines High