forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4544  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
Date:  Mon Mar 5, 2001  10:34 am
Subject:  Re: Rotations at 90 and 180 degrees (sideways - 1)

I agree thoroughly on the sideways position.   But it is like the arrows.  A single-lined arrow goes forward, but it can also be used to point to the side.  The double-lined arrow for the vertical plane can also be used for the side.  The two line intersect there. 

The same thing happens with the hand shapes.  The flat hand held vertically to the side can be shown either as a white hand without a split, or a hand split half and half, back of hand to the outside position.

BOTH ARE CORRECT.  It depends on whether your movement starts on the horizontal plane, or the vertical plane.  If on the vertical plane and you simply turn your flat palm facing you 90 degrees and you get no split.  If you start from a palm outward position, with the hand sticking out and swing your hand in, then the palm is split half and half. 

You save time if you don't have to split all the hands.  Every sideways hand position will have those two posible writings, as will every movement directly to the side.  It's because it is the intersection of the horizontal and vertical planes.

Charles Butler

----- Original Message -----
To: SW-L@ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 2:05 PM
Subject: Rotations at 90 and 180 degrees (sideways - 1)

Sw list members:
Going on with our rotations diagrams, now we, finally, have doubts.
1) First point: about the hand position in the sideways rotation, that one with the palm of hand turned to the body. With the forward and upward positions there is a sequence, but when we turn the forearm sideways it seems to have a rupture, a lack fulfiled with another position.
In our Sign Writing classes often students discussed about it and for them the logycal sequence would be based on this:

It shows a right arm traveling from the forward position, bending to the sideways position, so that the writing would be the same.
We noticed this trouble in various signs in ASL and LIBRAS, for example:

America (ASL)                                                            Born (ASL)   

Following the same pattern:

América (LIBRAS)                                                 

but...War (LIBRAS) ,as deaf use to write here, but if we follow the standart pattern it would be
Is that right ?

Thanks for your feedback !
SignNet, Brazil

Looking at this last sign of "War" I would misread this as palm "downward" because when I see the split hand I think "where is the back of the hand"? "It must be above?" then why is the hand split?  Hmm. 

I see the logic of your first writing as the hands move in and out, but I tend to follow the horizontal axis (the second writing) as the clearest showing that the palms are facing me, not palms down.

Every person has his or her own style, I tend to avoid splitting hands whenever possible.

Charles Butler

Attachment
attachment
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 16k
Download

Attachment
attachment
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 6k
Download

Attachment