forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4544  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Charles Butler
Date:  Mon Mar 5, 2001  10:34 am
Subject:  Re: Rotations at 90 and 180 degrees (sideways - 1)

I agree thoroughly on the sideways position.   But it is like the arrows.  A single-lined arrow goes forward, but it can also be used to point to the side.  The double-lined arrow for the vertical plane can also be used for the side.  The two line intersect there.

The same thing happens with the hand shapes.  The flat hand held vertically to the side can be shown either as a white hand without a split, or a hand split half and half, back of hand to the outside position.

BOTH ARE CORRECT.  It depends on whether your movement starts on the horizontal plane, or the vertical plane.  If on the vertical plane and you simply turn your flat palm facing you 90 degrees and you get no split.  If you start from a palm outward position, with the hand sticking out and swing your hand in, then the palm is split half and half.

You save time if you don't have to split all the hands.  Every sideways hand position will have those two posible writings, as will every movement directly to the side.  It's because it is the intersection of the horizontal and vertical planes.

Charles Butler