forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4566  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
Date:  Sat Mar 10, 2001  11:04 pm
Subject:  Re: Half and quarter rotation symbols (sideways-2)

Hello friends,

I looked at your jpgs 1-4  and after I while I could understand them.

From my point of view - your are interpreting the rotation symbols exactly the same way as I do

You are right that there is only one rotation symbol - just one tiny comment .

In the past I learned that this kind of movement description isnīt to be interpeted tooooooo close to any mathematical calculation - so feel free to interpret the sign as what it is - a rotation of the forearm which is side parallel to the floor. The forearm does not travel, but stays in place as it rotates.

What is much more important than the amount of half or less circle is the idea of rotation. If you want to be sure that your movement description canīt be misread you are free to add the endposition.
In a message prior to this one I mentioned already that I got used to it to write the start and endpostion - it seems to be a help for the reader. On the other hand - most of the time you will write for the informed reader - the reader who will understand the written sign in his SL. So in these cases it will be enough to write only the start postion ;-)  There are some signs like "book"   or "to open" a window which are so obivous ...

I sat down and made some gifs concerning this issue - rotation  movement of the forearm
Forearm points sideways and rotates.
Have a look at the different start- and endpositions !

All the very best and thank you very much for your questions

Stefan ;-)

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2001 4:10 PM
Subject: Half and quarter rotation symbols (sideways-2)

SW list members:
At last (at least !) our diagrams to the sideways rotation. It seems to be only one rotation symbol in that way, a half (180 degrees) one. So...we got intrigued with it.
The diagrams consist an  a draw with a person sideways and an arrow showing the direction rotation of the hand axis, the SW symbol and an example.

Again, thank you for your feedback and..patience.
SignNet-Brazil

Attachment
attachment
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 9k
Download

Attachment
attachment
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 10k
Download

Attachment