forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4621  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann2
Date:  Sun Mar 25, 2001  11:31 pm
Subject:  Re: German name sign for Ilker...

Dear Valerie,

thank You very much for your message- ...

You wrote ...
" So if you could post questions specifically about writing YOUR
language...your German signs...that would be much more interesting
and more useful for your students too. And it will help the SW List
members. Some have complained that there is too much ASL, and not
enough of other signed languages, posted on the List."

So I, for one, am very interested in German signs.

hmmm - pardon ??

I guess you are interested in any MovementWriting - ha !
That is the big point about SW - that it isn't tied to any culture,
language, country ...

And - that is a wonderfull aspect too - it isn ±² tied to any time -

It might well be a very interesting aspect to compare the developmental
stages - and who knows better than you - what has happened in the past.

Looking at any written SW-symbol I ask myself - Can I read it - do I know
how to move my arms, fingers, head, body -- and I don ±² care about the
source (which SL this movement descrition has been taken from.)

So the last exchange with Tini and Henk about some signs in their poem is
not a matter of ASL or any other SL in the world but simply a kind of
analyzing a movement description: Therefore from my point of view it is not
a question of who wrote the symbol or when did he/she wrote the symbol but
the chance to become a skilled and keen SW-reader ! ha ;-) I ±> far away
from criticizing ASL -SW spelling. And I really hope that you don ±²
experience this kind of discussion as kind of faultfinding.

If anybody feels disappointed about too much ASL - well - we will have to
inform that SW isn ±² tied to any language. WE all - at least I do - are very
eager to learn what you the inventor of this wonderfull tool has already
understood - there should be the chance within this system to describe even
complicated movements - if we are in need of that !

Why not start with a name sign of one of your students which I saw on
your web site:

"Ich hei FÞ Ilker"

Please post both the photo of Ilker and the writing of his name sign
in SW, to the SW List...I am interested in analyzing that sign....it
could literally create a new chapter in the Lessons in SignWriting
textbook ;-))
--

Wow that sounds mysterious ? Ilker - hm - am I wrong ( ha !!) to write his
name sign the way I did ? Will this end up with a big horidoooo in the

Let' s try it - I'm very interested to read your comment !

All the very best to you and Happy Birthday to your mother

Stefan ;-)

Attachment
ilker foto.jpg
Type: image/jpeg

4622 Re: German name sign for Ilker... Stefan Woehrmann2 Sun  3/25/2001
4629 Re: German name sign for Ilker... Valerie Sutton Mon  3/26/2001
4630 Re: German name sign for Ilker... Valerie Sutton Mon  3/26/2001
4633 Re: German name sign for Ilker... Judy A. Kegl Mon  3/26/2001
4647 Re: German name sign for Ilker... Valerie Sutton Tue  3/27/2001
4698 Re: German name sign for Ilker... Valerie Sutton Sun  4/1/2001
4759 Re: German name sign for Ilker... Valerie Sutton Sun  4/8/2001

  Message 4621  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index