forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4624  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Mon Mar 26, 2001  1:33 am
Subject:  Re: New info

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, PATSY VAN ANDEL wrote:

> P.S. Am I using the right term when I use deaf interpreter?

There's a word in American English for a Deaf person who
interprets for a Deaf person who doesn't have much contact with hearing
people. It's not very clear to me, but the idea I get is that there are
some varieties of ASL that are not well-understood by any hearing
interpreters. So when someone who only signs one of those varieties has
to talk to a hearing person, they need two interpreters, one hearing and
one Deaf.

In any case, that's the only meaning of "Deaf interpreter" that
I'm aware of, and that's not what you're looking for. "Editor" and
"collaborator" are two of the words that I would use. I look forward to
seeing the final work, whenever you're ready and find an editor (although
I don't know any NGT).

-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department
University of New Mexico

  Message 4624  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index