forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4718  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Apr 3, 2001  4:36 pm
Subject:  SignWriting in Albuquerque, New Mexico

>Dear List members,
>I was able to get some SignWriting handwritten and typed samples
>from our 'obliging' fifth graders this morning. I did send them
>directly to Deborah. Hope we didn't overwhelm her. Thought you might
>like to take a look. Cecilia

SignWriting List
April 3, 2001

Dearest Cecilia!
We probably did overwhelm Deborah...never has anyone's question been
so thoroughly answered - ha!

Your attached file was so exciting, Cecilia...Thank you for sharing
it with us. I just sat there and looked at it for a long time,
feeling very thankful...

And of course one of your Deaf students must have felt "worried"
about her mother in the hospital...isn't it nice she could express
that...

I have some good news regarding the new video series: "SignWriting In
Deaf Education" which we are producing...

As you know, the professional television-editing world has changed
dramatically in the past few years...TV shows used to be edited on
machines worth half a million dollars - they were only used by TV
stations and professional video makers...I had to hire them to edit
our Lessons in SignWriting video series and other videos which we
produced years ago, because obviously I couldn't own such machines
myself!

And as you know, when we videotaped your wonderful SignWriting
presentation last year in Albuquerque, Cecilia,....for the first time
we taped the show on the new Mini-DV format, which makes it possible
to do video editing for much less money. High-end Macintoshes, such
as the Avid machine, made for professional TV programs, are now only
$10,000...They are replacing the machines that cost the TV producers
close to a half million dollars before...so the costs are coming way
down, and more and more individuals like myself, can actually start
doing our own TV video editing, without depending on the big TV
studios...in the long run this is less expensive for us...

But all this was a big adjustment for me...the world of professional
video-editing certainly has changed!

Yesterday I purchased a used G4-Macintosh...of course it is not as
good as higher-end Macs. It is more like a medium Mac - ha!

But with FinalCut Pro software (which costs $1000 - I am hoping to
get it donated to us), I can now do the "rough-cut" video editing of
your TV documentary, Cecilia, and then for the final good quality
version, I can take that to the TV studio, and they can complete the
job with a better quality machine...I am really thrilled!

And I am working with James Short on this video production...he is an
expert and owns better machines, so your video editing will start in
the next few weeks...and I will be doing the rough-cut myself with
James's help...Imagine that! ;-)

Sorry it has taken so long, Cecilia...But we are moving forward slowly...
--

Val ;->