forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4735  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  SignNet-MCT-PUCRS
Date:  Wed Apr 4, 2001  6:21 pm

Saludações do Brasil,

I have arrived safely and have begun to work on an ASL/Libras dictionary, beginning with the alphabet.

Attached is the first file I'm sending you of the new project.  It was found unexpectedly.  The sign is not from the "alphabet" but is a 'new' handshape we seem to need.  The shape is similar to the '7' handshape in ASL, but the thumb touches under the middle knuckle, not at the tip of the finger.  The sign is for fiancé, indicating the ring on the finger, and I don't find another handshape.  I would propose putting it in the same section as the '7' handshape for Brazil as a variant position.

Everyone here is eager to learn ASL and find a project of developing an ASL/Libras dictionary exciting. We are starting with the alphabet and numbers, and moving on to various concepts we encounter in normal conversation, like 'slow', 'fast', 'bus'.  I hope to gather about 1000 signs comparing the two languages in concepts; grammar will need to wait for later.  I've met at least 15 Deaf here, and the names are all jumbling up.

Fabiano is my next door neighbor at the residential hotel I'm staying in; Fabio (man), Murilo (woman) other Deaf also live there but aren't in the sign project.  The Deaf at the hotel all belong to the Deaf Student Union at the Lutheran University in Pelotas where I'll be lecturing in a few days.

I promise to send a daily chronicle of some of my new studies.

Muitos abraços,

Ciaou,

Charles Butler III

Charles

Attachment
novio.jpg
Type: image/jpeg

  Message 4735  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index