forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4801  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  PATSY VAN ANDEL
Date:  Mon Apr 16, 2001  6:24 pm
Subject:  Re: Hard-to-Write Handshapes

The photos make things much clearer. I was able to guess what the hand
positions are, however seeing the pictures made everything much clearer.
Sign writing isn't used here in Holland. They use "signing books" which are
stories translated into sign language. I've done some reading, and sign
language is fairly new here in Holland. One of the books I've read said
that sign language was forbidden for a very long time. I get the impression
that a deaf person here in The Netherlands is till a second rate citizen.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Henk and Tini. When I look at the literature that
is available for children and adults, it seems that they're really shut out.
There is a deaf society and a theater for the deaf and a few children's
videos. However, there is very little in general. Liesbet Pyffer tried to
introduce sign writing here in Holland, but met a lot of resistance. After
reading the literature I have read, I can understand why. The Dutch
sometimes resist change. "If it works, why change it?" is the attitude I
have often been confronted with. We've seen that with the fire in Vollendam
and the explosion in Enschede. However, I'm going to keep trying. If it
doesn't work here, maybe it'll work there. Once I have something on paper,
I'll submit it to the group.

See you later,

Patsy