forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4842  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Judy A. Kegl"
Date:  Fri Apr 20, 2001  4:08 pm
Subject:  Re: Flat Hand: 20 Palm Facings

I can't believe this! We just finished a 188 page collection of stories
written in Nicaraguan Sign Language and I am making 16 copies in color.
That comes to 16 hours of non-stop photocopying. I am up to page 185!!! and
now I find you have changed a symbol.

Oh, I am going to shoot myself.

-- James

Ps to Valerie: I will, naturally, send you an advance copy. This is Volume
I. Volume II will be more in the nature of history and geography lessons
(September?) and Volume III will be more stories in general (November?)

----------
>From: Valerie Sutton
>To: SignWriting List
>Subject: Re: Flat Hand: 20 Palm Facings
>Date: Thu, Apr 19, 2001, 6:27 PM
>

>SignWriting List
>April 19, 2001
>
>Sutton Movement Writing is a large writing system. SignWriting does
>not use ALL of the symbols in the Sutton "SymbolBank".
>
>In the early 1980's, we wrote SignWriting from the Receptive
>Viewpoint. We never wrote handshapes from the Top View. So how did we
>write the Flat Hand pointing straight forward parallel with the
>Floor, when we wrote receptively?
>
>We used another symbol for the Flat Hand (see the attached diagram).
>
>Anyone who knew SignWriting in the 1980's has seen this old Flat Hand
>symbol, which was taken away from SignWriting when we started using
>the Expressive Viewpoint. I put it back in our big closet of symbols,
>the SymbolBank, wondering if it would ever be used again ;-)
>
>When the Expressive View was introduced, we also simultaneously
>introduced the new Top View. The Top View worked so well in the
>Expressive, that we did not need the "Front View" of the hands
>projecting forward or back any longer...or so I thought...
>
>Then, when Stefan asked for "writing rules" of the Angled Handshapes,
>I started to realize that the Angle Hand was originally designed, not
>based on the Flat Hand that we use today, but based on the shorter
>Flat Hand symbol that we used in the 1980's, that represents
>"projection".
>
>So I am bringing back the old symbol. I believe in the case of the
>sign for "boat" in German Sign Language, that it is a useful symbol,
>and probably will be used occasionally.
>
>Below are diagrams of the fingers projecting away from the Reader:

  Replies Author Date
4843 Re: Flat Hand: 20 Palm Facings SignNet-MCT-PUCRS Fri  4/20/2001
4845 Re: Flat Hand: 20 Palm Facings Valerie Sutton Fri  4/20/2001
4844 Re: Flat Hand: 20 Palm Facings Valerie Sutton Fri  4/20/2001

  Message 4842  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index