forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4872  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann2
Date:  Thu Apr 26, 2001  9:59 pm
Subject:  Re: dialogue - roleplay

Dear Valerie,

this will become a long story - hmm

the more we dive into this matter --writing a dialogue the more
questions come up - but it is sooooo interesting .

Your description of the first scene is absolutely correct. eh -

You described in words what we tried to express with our SW-symbols -

Problem #1: Person A touches the shoulder - but in our document the contact
star is located at "no - body " he - nevertheless you could understand our
intention -

We are sooo amused ... ;-)

The facial expression - tongue -- is our spelling if we can see that the
person articulates a word with " L"
In German Sign Language DGS people are using articulatory movements very
often - in fact - the more we transcribe from videos the more we understand
that this behaviour is a very important aspect of DGS - at least in the
northern part of Germany - he ;-)

Your description of the scene is perfect !!!

I ±> impressed and delighted !

You wrote :

"You did such an excellent job on your document."

Do you think so ?? I mean it is our first piece of this kind of literature
and we can imagine that there will be lots of things which could be written
differently - ;-)

Thank you for your
> contribution. It is a great topic for the SignWriting List ;-)

Yes I agree.
We just started a whole series of this kind of documents - and we should be
able more of these if anybody is interested. But let us discuss this one
first ;-)

I n the meantime I ±_ l continue to transcribe other dialogues in this way.

We have had fun with this document on our workshop. Writing a dialogue in SW
means that you become with every tiny element -
so if you ask people to copy your performance if you are going to sign in on
the stage ( eh) nobody would be able to copy your SL - performance as long
as he doesn ±² look at the SW- document. And this is really a blessing!
Any other other performance is over so quickly but not the written symbols
on the paper ha -
Now we can concentrate on style, grammar or funny aspects - (some signs are
hard to understand if you forget that B has a cup in his left hand - ha !! )

All the best

Stefan ;-)