forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4883  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Apr 29, 2001  3:54 pm
Subject:  Re: orientation of head and shoulders

Stefan wrote:
>Did you realize that these symbols show up very very seldom in all our SW
>literature ? Perhaps other people would like to learn more about this too in
>order to use these symbols with more knowledge ??

SignWriting List
April 29, 2001

Hello Everyone, and Stefan!

Thank you for your diagram attempting to write Receptive-Expressive
Roleplaying. Although it is not exactly the way we do it, it
certainly is a great try....and I applaud you for your interest and
efforts ;-)

In the old days, we wrote with complete stick figures drawings. That
is called "Full-Body SignWriting". To learn Full-Body SW, the
shoulders and head orientations are very important.

But over the years, Deaf people who were skilled signers, and skilled
Signwriters, chose to drop the shoulders unless they were really
necessary, so the focus on shoulders and head orientation was taken
away from the SignWriting symbol set...All of those symbols still
exist in the general Movement Writing system.

How many people write roleplaying in SignWriting? Not that many. In
fact, it is quite rare. It is an advanced reading and writing lesson.

And since your document in Expressive-Expressive is readable and
usable, I prefer not to teach Receptive writing at this time. I have
a long list of questions from other people, and I will help them
first. I hope in time we can take this subject up again...and I look
forward to it!
--

Val ;->