forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4890  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue May 1, 2001  3:48 am
Subject:  Second report on Brazil

Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001
From: Charles Butler

Latest news,

I was just invited by one of the members of the
Brazilian American Cultural Institute (BACI) to
possibly speak for their meeting on the 18th of May.
I will be up here for a conference on Sign Language
issues anyway, and PUC is not that far from the
Institute by cab.

Anyway, the Brazilian American Cultural institute does
a crash course for teachers every 3 weeks, and at the
end of each course they like to have various
presenters come and talk about linguistic issues. My
perspective on Libras and ASL is a unique one and the
cultural rep I talked to is excited. We will see.
For all of you in the U.S.

The work here through Signet is absolutely vital.
Libras (Brasilian Sign Language) was banned as a
language for 150 years and is only know getting itself
reinforced in the school systems (mostly through the
work of about 5 people spearheading the Concordia
Lutheran schools plus some others). Sign Writing is
used in about 4 schools here, and we are hoping that
my work with a practical dictionary will really make a
difference.

Never think that one person can't change the world. I
feel as if I have been prepared all of my life to do
this job. Who else would have the knowledge of
English, Portuguese, ASL, and Libras to be able to
even attempt a first start.

Everyone has been incredibly helpful, and the
opportunities just keep opening up.

One day at a time. Don't worry, though, I will be
coming back to the States on the 4th of June.
However, opportunities may continue to come here in
Brasil. Looks like I have roots here I didn't expect.

Charles

  Message 4890  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index