forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4908  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Denise Larkin
Date:  Sun May 6, 2001  2:48 am
Subject:  SignWriting and Deaf culture

Greetings all,

I am running into some large obstacles in Arizona. One of the biggest
complaints that I am hearing is that SW does not address Deaf culture, and
that Goldilocks is being pushed on different countries. They complain that
Deaf children cannot see themselves in Goldilocks.
Unofficially we are going to be conducting an International Deaf Conference
here in December. I have unoffically been asked to present SignWriting.
Because we are right next to the Mexican border, many of the people expected
are of Latino ancestry
Have any of the teachers in different countries created SW stories that
reflect their culture, or created Deaf children as characters in stories? In
order to convince this community I guess I am going to have to create my own
SW books. I found a few books I could use as ideas, ϴ he Desert is my
Mother/El Desierto Es Mi Madre m œ¥ oo Many Tamales m and œ€ orrequitea
and
the Coyote m I don ª² know if I should try and incorporate a Deaf child into
these stories, or try and create my own story. This is going to be very
difficult. Did anyone else have these challenges when it came to
incorporating SW into their own countries?
Sincerely,
Denise Larkin

  Replies Author Date
4909 Re: SignWriting and Deaf culture Angus B. Grieve-Smith Sun  5/6/2001
4911 Re: SignWriting and Deaf culture Valerie Sutton Sun  5/6/2001
4914 Re: SignWriting and Deaf culture Nancy Cole Sun  5/6/2001
4937 Re: SignWriting and Deaf culture Valerie Sutton Tue  5/8/2001
4915 Re: SignWriting and Deaf culture Nancy Cole Sun  5/6/2001
4916 Deaf Students Photos ;-) Valerie Sutton Sun  5/6/2001
4917 Re: Deaf Students Photos ;-) Valerie Sutton Sun  5/6/2001
4918 Re: SignWriting and Deaf culture Judy A. Kegl Mon  5/7/2001
4919 Re: SignWriting and Deaf culture Angus B. Grieve-Smith Mon  5/7/2001

  Message 4908  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index