forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4909  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Sun May 6, 2001  11:54 am
Subject:  Re: SignWriting and Deaf culture

On Sat, 5 May 2001, Denise Larkin wrote:

> I don ª² know if I should try and incorporate a Deaf child into these
> stories, or try and create my own story. This is going to be very
> difficult.

Really, those kinds of stories you're looking for already exist in
the community; they're just not written down. They're told and retold at
Deaf clubs, events and other get-togethers. Do you know any local Deaf
people who enjoy telling stories? You could ask them to tell some kids'
stories for videotape, transcribe the videotape in SignWriting, and then
distribute the two together. I realize that would take a lot of work, but
you would get stories that are closely connected with the Deaf community
in your part of Arizona.

I'm thinking about a performance we had at UNM a few years ago by
Ben Bahan. He had been collecting Deaf stories for a long time, and some
of them were really funny. Of course, not everyone's as good a
storyteller as Ben Bahan, but local stories would more than make up for
it.

For the conference, will people be coming from Mexico? If so,
it'd be valuable to have materials in Mexican Sign Language. You can find
out more about LSM from the folks at the National Multicultural
Interpreting Project at El Paso Community College
(https://www.epcc.edu/Community/NMIP/Welcome.html).

I hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress.

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Message 4909  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index