forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4913  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun May 6, 2001  2:12 pm
Subject:  TEACHER TESTIMONIALS

FROM
Kate Dalton-Lee

Teacher of Deaf students
Albuquerque Public Schools

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001

HELLO HELLO !

I think about you often but I am a horrible pen pal. You may
consider it a blessing, judging by your 100's of emails per day,
HAHHAH!

Anyway, before this school year comes to an end, I wanted to thank
you and congratulate you on touching and improving the lives of the
young'ns in my room.

I have to tell you that SW has really made a difference in the way
the students approach writing. I want to share with you two distinct
experiences that I observed in my classroom this year. Every day I
celebrate their victories but when they realize their
achievement...that is a true victory.

First, there is Julio. Julio is 8 years old and a gem. This is the
first year that I have worked with him and boy, has he grown!

When he began school in the fall, Julio answered "YES" to
EVERYTHING...even declarative statements. He demonstrated limited
language use and limited receptive comprehension. I was really
concerned about him.

After eight months of school and SW, I can honestly say that Julio
has flourished. He is beginning to read (ENG and SW). He is
confidently working through math, and understanding science concepts.
I feel that much of this growth stems from the visual support of SW
and the ownership that he takes in his SW computer experiences. He is
able to sit at the SW computer and compose 1/2-3/4 page documents
independently. He uses his environment and other students as
resources when he needs help spelling. It is beautiful.

When he finds a sign, he laughs the most ADORABLE laugh, makes a
fist, and bends his elbow, and cranks it into his side as if to say,
"YES!" Cute, Huh?

He has some trouble independently re-reading his work, but he knows
that he is expressing himself and is working independently. With SW
and Eng printed below, HE READS. HE WRITES. HE IS BECOMING LITERATE
:-)

I hope that his teacher next year, if it is not me, uses SW as an
avenue to reach Julio. Thank you for what you have done for us.

Second, when we returned from Spring Break, I presented a list of 5
tasks for the children to complete that day. On the list was SW.
Almost in unison, the kids, filled with excitement, signed
"SignWriting" With that, they got up and booted up the computers.

Kudos to you for your generosity and being a work horse. Kudos to the
kids for their smiles, persistence, and stuffing a whole lot of
personality in to such small bodies. Kudos to me for opening my mind
to something new, taking a risk, and sticking with my commitment.
-----Something happens between childhood and adulthood that makes us
less eager to take risks with new things...agreed? Finally, KUDOS to
Cecilia and Lorraine for being wonderful everyday and their ongoing
conversations and support with SW. They are truly wonderful :-)

So, for all of these wonderful reasons, I have wanted to write you.
Until next time we chat, take good caree. Tell your folks howdy :)

Hugs,

Kate

  Replies Author Date
4947 A Special Thank You to Kate Dalton Lee.... Valerie Sutton Sat  5/12/2001

  Message 4913  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index