forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4915  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Nancy Cole
Date:  Sun May 6, 2001  3:04 pm
Subject:  Re: SignWriting and Deaf culture

Hi Valerie!

Yes, you have my permission to post the pictures.  Richard and I have been
writing stories for the kids tomorrow.  I'm trying to learn how to post these
stories, but I've been so busy writing them.  So, after I figure out how to
do that you will definately know ha!  I have one song too that I taught the
kids and changed to ASL and then to SW.  It's becoming alot easier!  My kids
really love it and would you believe even my own hearing kids?!!  Charlie is
5 years old and can read Golilocks and the 3 bears all by himself!  He really
surprised me, and I never thought I would be showing it to him!  He has a
hard time with language.  Since both of his parents are Deaf, he is hearing,
plus has ADHA and this presents a problem I guess.  Our main language at home
is ASL, and his friends sign too.  He had such an easy time with reading SW
which surprised both Richard and I.

One more thing (I promise this will be the last lecture haha), my friend came
over.  She is also Deaf, and she has three sons.  One, Alexander is Deaf.  He
is 2 years old.  I explained signwriting to her and she hopes that I teach
Kindergarten in the next 2 years when he goes to Hillrise.   She has seen my
students these past few days, and I guess that got her excited.  The Deaf
Community here hasn't been so Hot on SW, so now they are changing their
beliefs.  I guess we have been preaching heavily on it haha  Anyways, it is
so amazing how fast kids pick up with SW and also how exciting they are to
use it!  You don't have to tell my students twice to work in the SW journals
or on the SW computer!  They are really thrilled to do it!!

So, that is all everyone...for now!  It might be lots of work doing this
books for SW, but Richard and I are learning so much when we are doing it and
it is alot of fun!!!

Smile:)
Nancy

  Replies Author Date
4916 Deaf Students Photos ;-) Valerie Sutton Sun  5/6/2001
4917 Re: Deaf Students Photos ;-) Valerie Sutton Sun  5/6/2001

  Message 4915  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index