forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4920  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Cristina
Date:  Mon May 7, 2001  1:37 pm
Subject:  Culture around the World

Sw list members:

I follow your discussion about cultural domination and I think this point
doesn't not refer only to deaf culture. I'm from Brazil, hearing woman, and
the musics we listen to the radio are 90% in English, on TV there are sitcoms
from...USA, there are outdoors everywhere with MacDonald's, Coca-Cola...and
even with that you 'suffer' to find someone who speak English. Culture is that
way, a puzzle, mostly incomprehensible. I think dominated people have, in part,
their guilt. My rich and beautiful culture is hidden behind foreign icons and
it seems that people don't care or don't realise it !
There are always cultural exchanges among communities, but we have to pay
attention to do not fall in extremes: avoid any cultural contact or accept
anything.
About Deaf: here in Brazil deaf people from the SignNet Project are translating
popular Brazilian legends, one is ready, "O Boto" ( a dolphin from Amazonia
who, supposedly, at night become a handsome man and seduce innocent girls). And
more are being prepared. It was a healthly reaction. They accept what still are
published, but they think it's time to show what Sign Writing can do to
preserve our Brazilian culture to our native deaf.

Cris
(supposed to be in vacations from SignNet Project, but I couldn't resist :-)

  Replies Author Date
4927 Re: Culture around the World Valerie Sutton Mon  5/7/2001

  Message 4920  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index