forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4933  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Denise Larkin
Date:  Tue May 8, 2001  6:08 pm
Subject:  Re: SignWriting and Deaf culture

Greetings,

Thank you all for your wonderful input. It's nice to know that I am not
alone in my struggles. Sometimes I think people come up with negative
comments about SW because they do not want to learn anything new. I would
like to apologize if I gave anyone the impression that I was trashing
Goldilocks. I really like Goldilocks. It is people from different countries
that have problems with it, and I was just trying to get ideas on how to
make everyone happy.
I have already started creating stories and my son is going to help me
illustrate them. James and Judy - I am so impressed by your book. I was
wondering if I could buy a copy of it. I would like to present it at our
unofficial International Deaf Conference. I really need to prove to other
countries that other countries are writing stories in SW. (gee that sounded
redundant).
About the conference: I am still calling it unofficial because we have not
been given permission to go public with it yet. I do not know the dates
other than it is supposed to be in December in Sierra Vista, Arizona. We are
right next to the Mexican border and hope that people from Mexico and the
surrounding areas will come. The emphasis is on bilingualism. Ruth
Kartchner is the mastermind behind this conference and has asked me to
present SignWriting. If anyone has written any SW stories that I could use
at this conference, I would love to get with you and purchase a copy. I am
obsessed with SW and I do not hesitate to talk about it, give classes, or
lecture on it. During the course of this semester, I have given 5 classes,
lectures on SW. One of my Deaf friends is exploring the possibility of
putting me on TV in Phoenix to present SW.
Thank you Angus on your email listing about literacy and culture. You were
able to say what I could not. I really hope that by creating stories about
other cultures I can bring new countries into the SW group.
Thanks again for all the help, and again I would like to apologize if I
sounded like I was negative about SW in any way. I love it and am very
excited about it !!!
Sincerely,
Denise

  Replies Author Date
4935 Re: SignWriting and Deaf culture Valerie Sutton Tue  5/8/2001
4936 Re: SignWriting and Deaf culture Valerie Sutton Tue  5/8/2001

  Message 4933  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index