forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4936  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue May 8, 2001  8:12 pm
Subject:  Re: SignWriting and Deaf culture

Denise Larkin wrote:
>About the conference: I am still calling it unofficial because we have not
>been given permission to go public with it yet. I do not know the dates
>other than it is supposed to be in December in Sierra Vista, Arizona. We are
>right next to the Mexican border and hope that people from Mexico and the
>surrounding areas will come. The emphasis is on bilingualism.

SignWriting List
May 8, 2001

Denise -
This sounds like a wonderful conference for SignWriting. All three of
us....you, me and Nancy Cole...all live on the border with
Mexico....each from a different state...California, Arizona and New
Mexico. Between the three of us, you would think we could develop
some Mexican Sign Language literature...but I know for me, at least,
that has not happened yet.

First, there are several different distinct Mexican Sign Language
dialects...the Sign Language used in Tiajuana, the city on the border
near me in San Diego, is somewhat different than the dialect used on
the border with New Mexico, for example.

Here in San Diego, I have met several Deaf people from Mexico, only
to find that they are interested in ASL and want to learn ASL...so my
information on Mexican Sign Language is limited.

There was a linguistic project in Mexico that used SignWriting. They
developed a Mexican Sign Language dictionary in the SignWriter
Computer Program, but then the project came to a halt, and I do not
have the rights to distribute their dictionary. They were afraid
there were mistakes in the dictionary.

I received a wonderful message from Nancy last night telling me about
the success she is having with SignWriting with her Deaf students...I
believe they are creating their own literature, which might be
something for your conference...

I am writing to you next, Nancy! Thanks once again, Denise -
--

Val ;->