forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4972  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu May 17, 2001  2:46 am
Subject:  QUESTION: Exporting/Importing Signs in Dictionary

SignWriting List
May 16, 2001

QUESTION:
Export /Import To Dictionary
We want to export individual signs from another person's dictionary
to our new dictionary. Could you refer us to a step-by-step for this
process....

ANSWER:
I would suggest converting the other person's dictionary into a SGN document.

Then open the converted document in SignWriter. Select the signs you
wish to use, and copy them into your new dictionary file, one by one.

Although this is slow, it works the best. It gives you the
opportunity to provide new word descriptions. Plus, you can change
and improve the signs before you copy them into the dictionary.

(PS. Merging the two dictionaries together, and then deleting signs
you do not want, is a second alternative, but I would not recommend
it. Merging dictionaries is a complicated task, and if not done
properly, can actually damage your files.)

I hope all of these answers have helped. I am excited that so many
people are using the Dictionary features in SignWriter 4.4! These
questions were not asked by one group...but by several groups...all
within a period of ten days...

Many blessings to everyone -
--

Val ;->

To manage your SW List email,
send Commands to:

COMMANDS
for No Mail: SET SW-L NOMAIL
for Digest Mail: SET SW-L DIGEST
for Regular Mail: SET SW-L MAIL
for Member List: REVIEW SW-L by NAME
to Leave SW List: SIGNOFF SW-L
to Join SW List: SUB SW-L firstname lastname

  Message 4972  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index