forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5001  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Charles Butler
Date:  Tue May 22, 2001  8:41 pm
Subject:  Re: ASL-Libras-English-Portuguese Dictionary

The database was originally stored on the computer at PUC in their database there, and it is the original one with the English words as well.  I would love to use the dictionary feature here at UCPel but this computer is networked, and it will not print out the dictionary files from DOS no matter what I do.

I do need to store them, but for now, they are having to be alphabetized manually, and at the moment I am putting them in sign order.  I'm on group 5 of the thousand word dictionary of Libras/Portuguese right now.  When I finish it (hopefully this week) I will order the Portuguese/English and Libras/ASL files accordingly.

The PUC people have been diligent in storing every new word into their dictionary.  The software here is not so efficient, nor has it been used as well.

Meanwhile, I'm doing layout into the book format that I've decided on using Brazilian paper (paper sizes are different here).  There will be much cutting and pasting, but it is the limitations of the system I am on.

Charles

  Valerie Sutton <Sutton@SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:

SignWriting List
May 22, 2001

How are you preparing your ASL-Libras-English-Portuguese Dictionary
database, Charles?

The final layout can be improved later, but what matters right now is
to store the data in a good database.

Are you using the SignWriter Computer Program? I am working on a way
to hook the SignWriter dictionary to FileMaker...so later it will be
easier for you to place your database in well-known database
software....but the original database needs to be typed in SignWriter.

So if I were you, I would use the dictionary feature in SignWriter....

I would convert the current ASL dictionary to SGN documents:

Convert Dictionaries to SGN Documents
https://www.SignWriting.org/acrobat/software/SW44-11-Convert-Dict.pdf

Next I would create a brand new, clean dictionary file in SignWriter
and slowly paste the signs in that you want...adding the Lib ras signs
as well...
--

Val ;->