forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5004  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue May 22, 2001  9:35 pm
Subject:  Re: ASL-Libras-English-Portuguese Dictionary

SignWriting List
May 22, 2001

Great, Charles!

Well planned ;-)

This reminds me of the Danish Sign Language-Danish, American Sign
Language-English Dictionary I worked on for several years back in the
1980's with the Deaf Center for Total Kommunikation in
Copenhagen...Although we put in an enormous work, it was never
published because it became overwhelming..We had verb conjugations
between the two Sign Languages as well as the lexikon itself....

Signers in both countries kept wanting to make so many changes, and
meanwhile, at that time, there was no way to type SignWriting by
computer...We were hand-inking every sign...so when changes were made
to the document it was a horrible job just to re-paste each page....

But that is the way dictionary work is!

Right now I am working on a wonderful new database and I love it - It
is getting easier now to create dictionaries in
SignWriting...combining SignWriter 4.4 with FileMaker is a wonderful
experience.

Val ;-)

---------------------

Charles Butler wrote:
>For those of you who asked, the captions will be changed to
>Portuguese/Libras, English/ASL on the files you see,
>
>Then there will be an additional section with Libras/Portuguese
>compared to English/ASL,
>
>a file with English/ASL to Libras/Portuguese and finally,
>
>ASL/English to Portuguese/Libras.
>
>I hope to have the final one in a format with ASL/Libras, Libras/ASL
>as well, with no spoken language.

  Replies Author Date
5005 Re: ASL-Libras-English-Portuguese Dictionary Charles Butler Tue  5/22/2001

  Message 5004  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index