forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5007  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Charles Butler
Date:  Wed May 23, 2001  11:38 am
Subject:  Re: ASL-Libras-English-Portuguese Dictionary

Looks like they do have Adobe Acrobat here, I will see if perhaps Rocha can try it, I'm swamped with work right now.

It would help in the long term in getting dictonary files printed out, and continuing the work here.

Now we just need to get the bugs and the system worked out for the reverse direction.

I will be loading up a review of the sequencing system (based on the "Lessons in Sign Writing" book) that I am using for ordering the Libras/Portuguese version soon.

Essentially:

1) Hands first, starting with the primary hand.  Group signs by Groups 1-10.

2) Second, orientation, following face-reader, side view, back view, face-reader-parallel-to-floor, side-view-parallel-to-floor, back-view-parallel to floor.

3) Rotation, counterclockwise (or clockwise if the writer is left-handed) (signs in this dictionary are written right-hand-primary for consistency)

4) Head location (if indicated), top view, top-of-head, top-left-side-of-head, top-right-side-of-head, left eye, right eye, left ear, left side of face, nose, upper lip, right lower face, chin, left lower face.

5) Body location (if body indicated), top, middle, bottom (if second line included) (so far no signs on the back, though one sign for "wallet" would include a back view.  Legs (if necessary)

6) Upper arms, followed by lower arms

7) Legs

8) Contact

9) Hand movement (joints)

10) Arm movement (side-to-side, up-and-down, in-and-out, rotations (same order, multiple times are within the same area)

 11) Facial expression (separate from head location-sometimes a second head is necessary to indicate a distinct facial expression as opposed to a facial location).

12) Speed

(Not all 12 indicators are necessary for all signs, but that seems to cover all the parameters)

  Replies Author Date
5015 SignWriter combined with Acrobat Valerie Sutton Mon  5/28/2001
5016 Re: ASL-Libras-English-Portuguese Dictionary Valerie Sutton Mon  5/28/2001

  Message 5007  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index