forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5046  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Judy A. Kegl"
Date:  Sun Jun 3, 2001  7:01 pm
Subject:  Re: Nicaragua

Hi, Valerie,

I don't think that any of our stories are long enough for a reader to become
"engrossed" with them. On the other hand, students do practice the material
quite a bit.

Volume I, which I sent you, is a collection of just some of the stories we
have written in SW over the years in Bluefields. Most of the students in
Bluefields are already familiar with the material. This is just the first
time we have published many stories in one volume and, more importantly,
made copies for distribution. We have also made changes from the original
versions to reflect corrections both in vocabulary and grammar. Some of the
pictures are different, as well.

On the other hand, we have new students all the time and for them this
collection is their first time seeing some of the material. Then there is
the school in Condega. For these students, all this stuff is new -- and
they are now just beginning to learn to read (I watched a class of very
young children working with one of the stories just the other day.)

In Bluefields, we commonly teach a story first by illustrations only. I
relate the story and a Deaf teacher translates my pidgin into sign language
and then each student practices narrating the story, using the illustrations
as cues. Later, in some cases, we then write the story.

The Deaf teachers then take the story to Condega where they must again teach
it, but this time without the benefit of my commentary or background
explanations. So, if the teacher cannot remember an important component of
the narrative, the teacher is at a loss BUT FOR HIS OR HER ABILITY TO ACCESS
THE NEEDED INFORMATION VIA PRINT. This is one of the reasons SW is a
godsend for the students.

While we produce some of the translations in Bluefields either at our dorm
or as an in-class project, we also each year bring a couple of teachers to
Maine to work on translations here in the USA. We then mail this material
to teachers remaining behind in Nicaragua (Bluefields and Condega). So, for
some stories, teachers are reading to students fresh material without the
benefit of my on-the-spot commentary.

-- James,

Ps, One student has been sending amorous letters to a romantic interest in
SW. Thought you might get a kick out of that. (She's out of his league, I
am afraid.)