forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5074  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Jun 6, 2001  4:45 am
Subject:  Re: Hard-to-Write Handshapes

Charles Butler wrote:
>>I looked at your message saying "both are correct" in terms of how
>>to write "father" and "mother" with the fingers sticking toward the
>>head, and that really strikes me as putting a monkey wrench in the
>>SW system. <<

SignWriting List
June 5, 2001

Hello Charles!

Actually you are talking about the monkey wrench called "Movement
Writing or SignWriting?"... smile

I suspect there will be discussions for years to come as to how to
write certain signs. There is also the question of "what symbols to
take from Movement Writing, and which symbols should be left for
dancers?"...

If I remember correctly, in the message you mention above, I was
answering a question by Tini Pel. Tini is a dancer who learned
DanceWriting, but who now teaches American Sign Language in Canada.
Tini and I knew each other in Copenhagen. Tini not only studied
DanceWriting with me in Denmark, but she also continued to take
DanceWriting correspondence courses with us through the mail for
several years.

Because I know Tini, I know that she knows all about the dots used in
Sutton Movement Writing to show projection, because of her dance
background.

But if you look at my answer to her, I was trying to explain that
even though in Movement Writing, both are correct, in SignWriting,
most people feel we should NOT use the dots, because it is easier for
Deaf children to use the line for the thumb. And then Tini replied
that although the dots seemed easier for her, she needed to remember
what was easier for Deaf children....etc etc...

So that was an interesting exchange. But it was by no means, a
statement from me as to how to spell signs. I would prefer to leave
spelling decisions to others if possible.

My job is to develop a writing system that is like a piece of clay.
Sutton Movement Writing can be molded to different professions and
different languages, depending on people's needs. Movement Writing is
neutral and has several ways to write each position, and
"SignWriting" is language specific, and most likely will become more
rigid as spelling rules are developed.

So feel free to write as you wish...I am only sharing what I have developed...
--

Val ;->