forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5075  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Jun 6, 2001  5:41 am
Subject:  Re: Hard-to-Write Handshapes

Charles Butler wrote:
>In preparing a dictionary, I am prepared to do distinct signs, but when the
>system begins to get "fuzzy" and hand positions and writing are no longer
>one way, I, as an editor, will have to write every sign both ways, include
>both hand orientations in the alphabet, and no longer have an accurate
>system. It makes the study impossible, and prohibitive.

SignWriting List
June 5, 2001

There is nothing fuzzy about it. The Five Handshape has not changed.

Although the symbols do have many possible variations in Movement
Writing, there are some, like the Five Hand, that are standardized in
SignWriting with the line for the thumb.

I like the way we have been spelling the signs for Father and Mother
with the lines for the thumb..That spelling has not changed...It is
standardized.

The dots are used for general Movement Writing, for projecting legs,
knees, feet, hands, forearms, arms or fingers...any limb coming
directly towards you.

There are some newer handshapes that use the dots as a standard, but
they do not change either...so there is nothing fuzzy.

Sometimes people express that they cannot read a certain handshape,
so as the inventor, I feel it is my duty to try to show them the
basic logic behind the entire system.
--

Val ;->