forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5079  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Wed Jun 6, 2001  11:48 am
Subject:  Re: Hard-to-Write Handshapes

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Charles Butler wrote:

> We have all been looking to make SW universal, but if the system
> begins to become fuzzy, rather than truly the equivalent of the
> International Phonetic Alphabet" in which "a" for example represents
> the sound in "father" NOT in hate, so SW needs to be consistent, from
> top to bottom. If your position X (the first one) which has been used
> for Father for over 20 years now is to be changed, then change it,
> don't give a "variant" writing.

I hate to say this, Charles, but the reason the IPA is so rigid is
that it is used only by trained professionals for specific tasks. Even
so it's a little "fuzzy." When something is used for everyday writing by
lots of people, it's impossible to control. Variants spring up, it gets
even more "fuzzy." This has happened to every writing system, no matter
how perfect it was to start with. And people who make dictionaries have
no choice but to deal with this fact.

So SignWriting can remain rigidly controlled, but only if it's
restricted to a small group of scholars. In that case, it will never
really be used for writing. I think Valerie alluded to this when she made
the distinction between Movement Writing and SignWriting.

And don't forget that the language (Libras in this case) varies
now, and will change as time goes on, creating different pronunciations of
different signs. These will eventually need to be incorporated into a
dictionary.

I think eventually signed-language dictionaries will be structured
like our English dictionaries: with the various written forms, followed by
pronunciation guides, and then the rest of the information. For now, the
best thing is to put up with a little "fuzziness."

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Replies Author Date
5082 Re: Hard-to-Write Handshapes Valerie Sutton Wed  6/6/2001

  Message 5079  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index