forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5100  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Bill Reese
Date:  Fri Jun 8, 2001  7:22 pm
Subject:  Re: SignBank: SignWriting Online Dictionaries

Val,

I loaded the pages as changed into Netscape 4.77 on an old 233 mhz machine and
also into Internet Explorer 5.01 on a newer 800mhz machine. The pages on the
233 changed just like any other webpage - it would take a long half second
blink. On the 800 with Explorer, most of the time there was no discernible
change - occasionally I would get a flash.

The biggest change, and I think which was all you needed to do, was that
percentage change Angys pointed out. Now all the pages load exactly in the
same place, exactly the same size.

Looks good! :-)

Bill

Valerie Sutton wrote:

> SignWriting List
> June 7, 2001
>
> Thank you, Jerry and Angus! You have been very helpful ;-)
>
> Yes...I have very fast, up-to-date Macintoshes now, and they are
> really fast...it takes my breath away at times. There is a danger in
> that, since I can be fooled into thinking other people experience
> what I experience...so I will make an effort to test everything on
> slower computers too...Thanks so much for the input.
>
> As you know, I want to place a true database in FileMaker on the web
> in time...so the web pages I am doing right now are just for the
> interim waiting period until we have that database posted.
>
> Should I add more signs to the web pages I have now? I could place
> several hundred signs online if people think they would use the
> dictionary on the web...and I could do that for several signed
> languages as well...
>
> Val ;-)
>
> ------------------------
>
> Jerry wrote:
> >I just visited the re-posted site. I see nothing wrong with its
> >operation from my perspective. The screen will blink between pages, but
> >unless one has an extremely fast computer and video card (and likely you
> >are working on a MAC, which is superior for graphics), this is no
> >different than you would see changing from one different website to
> >another on a PC.
>
> Angus wrote:
> >I agree with Jerry on this one. It's impossible not to have some
> >flashing as the computer redraws the screen from one Web page to the next.
> >It might be possible to do it smoother with a Java applet, but that takes
> >some serious programming (and is less reliable, and takes longer to load,
> >and doesn't work well with all browsers...).

  Replies Author Date
5101 Re: SignBank: SignWriting Online Dictionaries Valerie Sutton Fri  6/8/2001

  Message 5100  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index