forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5109  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  SignNet-MCT-PUCRS
Date:  Tue Jun 12, 2001  5:40 pm
Subject:  Brazilian Sign Language abbreviation

>SignWriting List
>June 8, 2001
>
>QUESTION:
>What are the three letters that stand for Brazilian Sign Language?
>
>ANSWER:
>Of course, in everyday language, the term LIBRAS is the proper name
>of Brazilian Sign Language.
>But when it comes to computer abbreviations...As you know, all the
>names of countries and languages are abbreviated further. For
>example, the country code for Brazil, is called BR in computers. The
>country code for the United States is US, and so forth....
>International Standardization of Sign Language Codes
> The old SIL abbreviations, (from my perspective
>anyway), are not nearly as easy to understand.

Hi everyone !
Very interesting this question cause it has came out in our discussion list
of sign language interpreters from Brazil. Deaf community here uses largely
LIBRAS (day by day) but researchers discuss about LSB (língua de sinais
brasileira), etc... I've sent to our terps list a web site about ethnologue
in Deaf sign languages that they use another system
(https://www.sil.org/ethnologue/families/Deaf_Sign_Language.html). This
discussion never ends...
Cris (SignNet Project)

  Replies Author Date
5110 Re: Brazilian Sign Language abbreviation Valerie Sutton Wed  6/13/2001

  Message 5109  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index