forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5110  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Jun 13, 2001  1:59 pm
Subject:  Re: Brazilian Sign Language abbreviation

I've sent to our terps list a web site about ethnologue
>in Deaf sign languages that they use another system
>(https://www.sil.org/ethnologue/families/Deaf_Sign_Language.html). This
>discussion never ends...Cris (SignNet Project)

SignWriting List
June 13, 2001

Hello Everyone, and Cris!
Nice to hear from you again. Regarding the ISO abbreviations:

sgn-BR
sgn-DK
sgn-US
sgn-ES

and so forth...

Those codes are used in our software, inside the computer program
itself, and also to list the software from other countries. It is so
general, that it is not confusing for people, because you know the
country code already, and SGN is the name of our Sign Files in
SignWriter.

But everyday conversation is a different issue. Interpreters have to
use everyday language, not computer codes! So the name LIBRAS, or any
other abbreviation the Deaf people choose for their signed languages
in Brazil, would obviously be used in conversation.

To give you an example, EN is the abbreviation in computers for the
"English language". But when I am speaking in a conversation with
someone, I dont say to them: "I speak EN." I say I speak English!

So there are different purposes for all these abbreviations. If you
would like to see a use of the "sgn-BR" abbreviation, just go to the
download page for the SignWriter Computer Program, and there you will
see I am using the international codes set by the ISO:

Download Shareware
https://www.SignWriting.org/forums/software/sw44/download

Scroll down the page to the download box. You will see the country
code for each country's shareware in the left side of the download
box.

Regarding the SIL codes, I personally don't use them because I found
them harder to memorize, where "sgn-BR" or "sgn-DK" are easier to
memorize (for me anyway ;-)

I hope you all are doing well!
--

Val ;->