forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5123  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Jun 18, 2001  8:36 pm
Subject:  Hello Everyone!

SignWriting List
June 18, 2001

Hello Everyone!
Thanks for the great posts...Tini and Charles, your poetry is great ;-)

Stefan - Congratulations on all your workshops! I am so happy to know
that you are building a team in Germany...that surely must make you
feel satisfied inside, to see the strides you have made in such a
short, short time ;-)

Who knows? Maybe someday you will have a SignWriting List just for
German-speaking signers? The GebaerdenSchrift List - ha!

Of course, we have all missed your animated posts....but now you have
an audience in Germany that is more important!

I adore the animated person who washes his or her hair, without
actually having hair! Beautifully animated as always...and it kind of
reminds me of me (grin ;-)

And Cecilia Smith and Cecilia Flood...nice to hear from you ;-)
Teaching SignWriting in sign language classes...that is wonderful. If
hearing people learn to sign, and also learn to read and write signs
at the same time, that would be a real step forward...

I have had such an interesting time lately. First, I really had no
choice but to upgrade the computers here...which I did. But the final
comedy was today. I got a "fast internet connection" installed last
week called "RoadRunner", which is a service here in the US.
Generally it has been a blessing, because I can now transfer larger
databases through the internet with a faster connection, but there
have been rediculous frustrations too. There is special software
called a Firewall, that is supposed to deny hackers access to hurting
your computer. So I installed this special Firewall software. You
won't believe what happened? It denied ME access to my own web sites
- ha! I finally had to un-install it and I am still struggling with
it!

I have been working with a brand new FileMaker programmer named Todd.
I met him last Tuesday. I called Todd, because the average FileMaker
programmer has trouble doing what I am
requesting...namely....developing the SignBank database in FileMaker
so that it can "lookup" by Sign-Symbol-Sequence (the SSS).

I showed Todd the design I want to implement in databases, so we can
search by SSS. Todd has been doing FileMaker databases full time for
13 years, so he is more of an expert than most. Of course, Todd
doesn't know sign language or SignWriting, so I mapped out the entire
structure of the SSS for him, to give him a feel for what needs to be
done internally, inside the database.

Yesterday, Todd came back, after only a few hours work, with a
wonderful plan for the internal calculations of the programming. He
mapped out how FileMaker will access all the Sutton symbols in
SymbolBank, making the "searching by symbol" easy for the user.

Once he finalizes the structure of how the database will function
internally, then the burden is on me personally, to complete
SymbolBank, which will hold every symbol, with every rotation,
variation, palm facing and so forth...in the entire Sutton system.
Each minute variation of symbol is given its own separate ID number
in the computer, so that "sorting" can be done automatically later.

The result will be a totally visual database for SignWriting users.
Without realizing there are ID numbers hidden under the symbols, the
user will be able to sort by sequence in a variety of ways,
completely staying in the visual world of SignWriting. I am quite
excited about it.

Ha! I have jumped around a lot in this conversation! Todd and I are
hoping to have the "sorting and searching by Sign-Symbol-Sequence"
ready for a "test run" by FileMaker users in the Fall. So my summer
will be adding symbols to SymbolBank and doing web design.

Would any of you enjoy learning and discussing the
Sign-Symbol-Sequence on the SignWriting List? I could start with the
first symbol, and explain each one with a diagram, and just go
through each symbol one by one....that would give everyone an
overview of all the basic symbols...

Just a thought!

Thanks once again everyone - and have a great day!
--

Val ;->