forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5129  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Marie Alexander
Date:  Tue Jun 19, 2001  6:28 am
Subject:  SIGN-SYMBOL-SEQUENCE ON SW LIST

Dear Valerie,

I would appreciate discussing the sign-symbol-sequence on the signwriting list
although I am still a beginner.

Two deaf adults, Karl Borg and Dorianne Bezzina, and I are currently working
(part-time - very part-time) on the Maltese Sign Language project. We have
found signwriting extremely useful and have used video recordings of stories
(e.g.the Maltese version of Thumbelina) and some other stuff (on Volcanoes) to
practice signwriting. We are now compiling a dictionary. Nothing phenomenal.
More like a pilot dictionary if you like. A start anyway. I think it would
help us to follow a discussion on the sign-symbol-sequence on the SW list
though we cannot imagine being able to make any worthwhile contributions, not
for a wee while anyway.

I have introduced signwriting to one of my linguistics students. She has used
it to transcribe two stories retold by two deaf teenagers as part of a study
she carried out. The success has led me to think it would be worthwhile
introducing a short course in signwriting for linguistics students who have
started to study Maltese sign language. We'll see whether it arouses enough
interest.

We look forward to learning more....

Cheers,
Marie Alexander
Director,
Institute of Linguistics
University of Malta
Msida MSD 06
Malta

  Replies Author Date
5145 Maltese Sign Language in SW... Valerie Sutton Wed  6/20/2001

  Message 5129  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index