forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5137  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Bill Reese
Date:  Tue Jun 19, 2001  3:39 pm
Subject:  Re: "ABC Stories" in ASL

Val,

In my area (Florida, USA), the ABC stories are told using every
fingerspelling letter - starting with "a" and ending with "z." There's a
smooth transition in the story from letter to letter.

Bill

Valerie Sutton wrote:

> SignWriting List
> June 19, 2001
>
> Wonderful idea, Lorraine, to preserve the ABC stories for future
> generations by writing them in SignWriting....
>
> The ASL "ABC stories" use the letters of one language (English), to
> stimulate storytelling in another language (ASL)...
>
> The Deaf storyteller takes the handshape for the letter "A" in
> American fingerspelling, and then creates an ASL story based around
> the A handshape. So every sign is using the A hand in the entire
> story. Then the next story is only using the "B" handshape...but it
> is not used in a fingerspelling context, but instead in signs that
> happen to use the B handshape naturally in ASL....
>
> Linguists could study the ABC stories for a long time, and still not
> capture all the nuances...
>
> We look forward to reading your work, Lorraine!
>
> --
>
> Val ;->

5141 Re: "ABC Stories" in ASL Lorraine Crespin Tue  6/19/2001
5149 Re: "ABC Stories" in ASL Valerie Sutton Wed  6/20/2001
5151 Movement Arrows in SW Valerie Sutton Wed  6/20/2001
5153 Re: Movement Arrows in SW Valerie Sutton Thu  6/21/2001
5154 Re: Movement Arrows in SW Valerie Sutton Thu  6/21/2001
5142 Re: "ABC Stories" in ASL Cecelia Smith Tue  6/19/2001
5150 Re: "ABC Stories" in ASL Valerie Sutton Wed  6/20/2001
5168 Re(2): "ABC Stories" in ASL Ingvild Roald Mon  6/25/2001
5171 Ingvild's Doctorate ;-) Valerie Sutton Mon  6/25/2001

  Message 5137  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index