forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5149  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Jun 20, 2001  10:25 pm
Subject:  Re: "ABC Stories" in ASL

Lorraine wrote:
>Yes, the ABC stories I was referring to use all the letter handshapes of the
>entire alphabet as Bill stated. You start with A and then proceed with the
>story until Z.

SignWriting List
June 20, 2001

Hello Lorraine, Bill and Everyone -

Clearly I had a misunderstanding of what an ABC story was in
ASL...which just goes to show why I always say I teach Movement
Writing and not ASL - ha!

I had actually recorded a Deaf person signing a poem once back in the
1980's at a conference, and he did only one handshape throughout the
entire poem - and he did the one with the A handshape for me and I
jotted it down in Shorthand. He told me at the time that he was also
developing other poems that would continue with the letter B and so
forth...so I thought that was what an ABC story was!

I can't imagine using all 26 letters in the American Manual Alphabet
in one story from beginning to end...that must be quite an
accomplishment and it would be fun to write from videotape!

Val ;-)

  Message 5149  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index