forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5159  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Jun 22, 2001  7:50 pm
Subject:  Re: Sign-Symbol-Sequence (SSS)

SignWriting List
June 22, 2001

Regarding sorting and searching for signs inside computer databases someday...

You will notice that the first Hand Group below is "No Symbol". Some
linguists feel that the absence of a hand symbol has meaning and
importance. Not every linguist chooses to use this feature, but it is
there for those who do. For example, if you choose to record a
one-handed sign as "one hand plus no symbol" ("no symbol" for the
hand not being used), that will sort differently in the database,
than if you did not include the "no symbol" information. (I can show
you later!....)

There are other issues too. None of us have enough experience sorting
signs by Sign-Symbol-Sequence in databases yet, to know exactly which
Sequence is the best. So we are trying to keep the database a
flexible one, so that linguists and teachers can experiment with
different sequences...but the SSS-1999 will be the default sequence
in the database in the first release.

Attachment
Hand-Groups.gif
Type: image/gif

5160 Re: Sign-Symbol-Sequence (SSS) Valerie Sutton Fri  6/22/2001

  Message 5159  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index