forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5172  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Ingvild Roald
Date:  Tue Jun 26, 2001  9:18 am
Subject:  Re: Ingvild's Doctorate ;-)

Hi Val and everyone,

yes, the defense and the trial lectures went fine. The event is a big one,
two days and hundreds of people. My first oponent was prof. dr. Harry Lang
of NTID, who had prof. dr. Bonnie Meath-Lang, his wife, is his
interpreter. I was so happy that I could have an outstanding deaf person
in this role, it gave extra support to my message: deaf people are as
capable as hearing people, but the circumstances are different. The title
of my dissertation is ' BUILDING OF CONCEPTS: A Study of Physics Concepts
of Norwegian Deaf Students.' It is a published book, which means that it
can be baugh, and loanded from libraries. It has an introductory part, of
about 80 pages, with a literature review etc., and four papers. Three of
the papers has been accepted by scholary journals: two are published in
the Interational Journal of Science Education (Vol 22, no 4, pp 337-355:
'What are the Earth and the heavenly bodies like? A study of objectual
conceptions among Norwegian deaf and hearing pupils' ; and Vol 23, no 4,
pp 423-440: 'Configuration and dynamics of the Earth-Sun-Moon system: an
investigation into conceptions of deaf and hearing pupils), and one is to
be published in Journal Of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education ('Reflections
by Norwegian Deaf Teachers on Their Science Education: Implications for
Instruction') . In additon, the article that is on the SignWriting home
page, under 'LIngustic forum', was included in the dissertation book. The
first of the Science Education papers had some SignWriting in it, with
full explanations on the side (the explanations, even in a small typeface,
took up more space than the written sign).

I hope to be able to do some serious SignWriting work soon.

My official title is

dr. philos. Ingvild Roald,

just plain 'Ingvild' is fine

skriver:

>SignWriting List
>June 25, 2001
>
>Dear Ingvild!
>Many congratulations on receiving your doctorate! I was thinking of
>you everyday in early June, because I knew you were defending your
>thesis....of course I had no doubt we would soon be calling you "Dr.
>Ingvild Roald"....or what is the correct title for you now in Norway?
>;-)
>
>For the sake of the SW List, perhaps you could tell us a little bit
>about your thesis? Did it have anything to do with deafness?...it
>would be interesting to hear of your conclusions...
>
>And welcome back to the SW List....
>--
>
>Val ;->

  Replies Author Date
5175 Re: Ingvild's Doctorate ;-) Valerie Sutton Wed  6/27/2001
5194 Re(2): Ingvild's Doctorate ;-) Ingvild Roald Thu  6/28/2001
5198 To order the Brazilian Sign Dictionary Valerie Sutton Thu  6/28/2001
5199 Re(2): Ingvild's Doctorate ;-) Valerie Sutton Thu  6/28/2001

  Message 5172  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index