forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5175  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Jun 27, 2001  1:57 pm
Subject:  Re: Ingvild's Doctorate ;-)

SignWriting List
June 27, 2001

Hello Ingvild!
Congratulations once again on this achievement (see below). Very
important work. I am glad it is published and available to the world.
Are there links on the web yet, for some of the publications you
mention below? If so, I can add them to your article on our
SignWritingSite, including any other additions you would like me to
make, regarding these new developments.

To explain for SW List members....Ingvild's research has brought the
subject of Physics, and other sciences, into Deaf Education, in a
much more concrete way. An important question in Deaf Education
is..."How do teachers of science inspire Deaf students to learn the
sciences?" I am sure it is not easy, since many teachers of the Deaf,
who are hearing, may not know a signed language well enough to
explain the subject properly in the Deaf student's native
language....and so Ingvild's work is bringing attention to this
issue, as well as other issues.

You can read about this on our SignWritingSite:

TERMINOLOGY IN THE MAKING:
PHYSICS TERMINOLOGY IN NORWEGIAN SIGN LANGUAGE
by dr. philos. Ingvild Roald
https://www.SignWriting.org/forums/linguistics/ling032.html

Congrats once again, Ingvild!

Val ;-)

-----------------------------------

On 6/26/01, Ingvild Roald wrote:

>The title of my dissertation is ' BUILDING OF CONCEPTS: A Study of
>Physics Concepts
>of Norwegian Deaf Students.' It is a published book, which means that it
>can be bought, and loaned from libraries. It has an introductory part, of
>about 80 pages, with a literature review etc., and four papers. Three of
>the papers has been accepted by scholary journals: two are published in
>the Interational Journal of Science Education (Vol 22, no 4, pp 337-355:
>'What are the Earth and the heavenly bodies like? A study of objectual
>conceptions among Norwegian deaf and hearing pupils' ; and Vol 23, no 4,
>pp 423-440: 'Configuration and dynamics of the Earth-Sun-Moon system: an
>investigation into conceptions of deaf and hearing pupils), and one is to
>be published in Journal Of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education ('Reflections
>by Norwegian Deaf Teachers on Their Science Education: Implications for
>Instruction') . In additon, the article that is on the SignWriting home
>page, under 'LIngustic forum', was included in the dissertation book. The
>first of the Science Education papers had some SignWriting in it, with
>full explanations on the side (the explanations, even in a small typeface,
>took up more space than the written sign).
>
>I hope to be able to do some serious SignWriting work soon.
>
>My official title is
>dr. philos. Ingvild Roald,
>just plain 'Ingvild' is fine

  Replies Author Date
5194 Re(2): Ingvild's Doctorate ;-) Ingvild Roald Thu  6/28/2001
5198 To order the Brazilian Sign Dictionary Valerie Sutton Thu  6/28/2001
5199 Re(2): Ingvild's Doctorate ;-) Valerie Sutton Thu  6/28/2001

  Message 5175  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index