forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5197  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Jun 28, 2001  2:44 pm
Subject:  Re: Start and End Positions

Cris at SignNet wrote:
> Here I am again with an old doubt: should I write the end or start
>position ? I've read the it's best to write the last handshape, but
>I really feel that we read clearly with the start position and then
>add the symbol of movement.

SignWriting List
June 28, 2001

Hello Cris and Everyone!

Thanks for this question. It is very fortunate that you wrote both
positions, or I would have read it quite differently.

The movement is not from the middle joint, but instead it is a "hinge
movement" from the knuckle joint, a little like the ASL signs for
"twenty" or "print" or "bird".

The dots cannot be used in this case. Dots are used to go from a
straight finger to a bent one, but your sign is not bending from the
middle joint...it is moving like a door opening and closing at the
hinge of the knuckle joint, and the fingers themselves do not bend
any more or any less.

So I am preparing a series of lessons on this now. It will take me a
few hours...but it is coming!

So there is a good reason why you had doubts, Cris...it didn't feel
right to you, and that is understandable....

That is why I suggest to write both beginning and ending positions
whenever you feel doubts...that way, the issues of which symbols to
use becomes clearer, and people do not mis-read the signs as often.

More soon -
--

Val ;->