forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5248  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Ingvild Roald
Date:  Mon Jul 16, 2001  9:14 am
Subject:  Re(2): Re(2): Sign Symbol Sequence (SSS)

skriver:
>Regarding the Norwegian "T" handshape....Ingvild, I believe your "T"
>shape has two "action fingers"....the index finger and the thumb.
>
>I checked that by visiting this web page to view your keyboard in Norway:
>
>Norwegian Fingerspelling Keyboard
>https://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/fingkeys/fkey047.html

Yes, I see it's there. And both the symbol 01-09-018 and the one on the
keyboard will be seen equally as 'T' by Norwegain signers.

It is wonderful to have this symbol list for the computers, but I think we
need to bear in mnd that for the actual signing, the 'articulation' may
vary slightly from sign language to sign language and from signer to
signer. It will not be nearly as varied as the pronounciation of the latin
alphabeth by speakers, anyway. But still, what constitutes a significant
differnce in one language community is of no concern to another. That is
partly why I am so pleased whith the concept of 'action fingers', which
means that we may let the others 'rest'.

I will try to come up whith photos of handshapes in Norwegian sign
language, both those that should be written as the same as they are
percieved as the same, and those that differs significantly.

Ingvild

  Replies Author Date
5250 Sign Symbol Sequence (SSS) Valerie Sutton Tue  7/17/2001

  Message 5248  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index