forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5274  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Jul 20, 2001  2:00 pm
Subject:  Re: finger movements - dots for bending

Stefan wrote:
>As I learned from your last message - there are two ways to describe the
>same movement ? Is this correct ?
>Is there any preference for the one or the other ?

SignWriting List
July 20, 2001

Hello Everyone!
Please forgive my delay in responding to all your messages. I had
planned to post some messages teaching the bending of the finger
movements in detail...I haven't gotten to it yet!

I am not sure what message you are referring to in the above
statement, Stefan. I am sorry if I gave you a mis-impression on
something...

The dark dots should be above the second position...the end of the
closing action takes the dark dots...and I promise, I will explain
soon...

Regarding the attached diagram called "come", which you just posted,
Stefan, I only use the second example in your diagram. The dark dots
are like arrowheads. Pretend that the dark dot is at the end of an
arrow....The dark dots should be above the second position at all
times, because if it were an arrow, the arrowhead is over the second
position.

Hector really seems to understand it well, which is great. For
example, his numbers show the dots over the ending position, which is
the way I would write them.

Charles pointed out in the past, that some of our signs in our old
ASL dictionary are incorrectly written...That is true, so of course
that confuses everyone!! And I am sorry, Charles, that I have not
answered your questions in detail...I certainly plan to...

So give me a few hours and I will be back!

If there were only more hours in a day...anyone invent a day with 36
hours yet? ;-)

Attachment
come.gif
Type: image/gif

  Message 5274  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index