forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5309  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Jul 25, 2001  11:20 pm
Subject:  Re: Finger Movement Symbols

SignWriting List
July 25, 2001

Dear SW List:
There are two kinds of finger movement symbols. In the past, we have
called them Middle Joint and Knuckle Joint Movement Symbols.

I am experimenting with new names: Squeeze and Hinge.

"Squeeze" in English means to hold something and then hold it tighter
and tighter...like squeezing a tube of toothpaste, or squeezing juice
from an orange, or milk from a cow.

"Hinge" in English means the way a door is attached to the wall. The
door connects to the wall with "hinges". The door remains straight
while it opens and closes on it "hinges". So "Hinge Movement" is a
little like the opening and closing of a door.

Here is of Squeeze and Hinge Motion:

Attachment
Finger-Movement-8.gif
Type: image/gif

  Message 5309  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index