forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5318  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Jul 26, 2001  1:23 pm
Subject:  Re: re; squeeze and Hinge

Henk Pel wrote:
>Yes a door can be hung on hinges. That will enable it to swing. A door or a
>window can swing open or closed. So is what you are describing a hinge
>movement or a swing movement?

SignWriting List
July 26, 2001

Hello Henk!
Nice to hear from you again. Of course you are right that a door
swings from its hinges.

These Finger Movement Symbols, in the past, were named for the
"joints" that move or bend. The one you are discussing above used to
be called "Knuckle-Joint-Movement". The word Knuckle was a hard word
for people, especially for those not native to English....so I was
looking for a better word to describe the joint itself.

The joint of a finger is a little like the hinge of a door. The door
(the fingers) swing, but the joint that does the motion (the knuckle)
is the hinge of that door...

Meanwhile, if you ask Tini, you will see that we do have other
movement symbols called "Swing Motion Symbols" that are used in
DanceWriting or general MovementWriting to show large swings of the
arms or legs....like if you kick your leg over your head...that uses
Swing Motion Symbols....ha!

Fortunately, we don't have to kick our legs over our heads when
writing SignWriting - ha!
--

Val ;->