forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5329  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Jul 27, 2001  3:28 am
Subject:  Re: ASL sign for "cockroach"

Charles Butler wrote:
>If the sign is two-handed, then the right hand,
>again, is the first hand to come up, because the program is based on the
>right hand being on the left side of the screen, as the system was
>"receptive" in its original creation. I have to type the right hand, then
>switch it to the left-handed image.

SignWriting List
July 26, 2001

Interesting. Although this is true, it has never been a problem for me.

The program is designed right handed because around 80 per cent of
the world's population is right handed (I guess), and there are signs
that are done with one hand, and so they would be right handed
usually.

When I am typing a two handed sign, and the handshape is the same for
right and left, I do the following:

1. Type the hand symbol
2. Flop
3. Copy
4. Flop

That gives you both hands quickly in 1-2-3-4 strokes. I guess I got
so used to typing that way, that is became fast for me.

And if you have a sign that is relating to the facial circle, then if
you tap on the M key, the cursor moves around the face pretty quickly.

I suspect any typing program will have problems with typing issues of
this nature. It may be that more training is needed to teach fast
typing methods...or it may be that some typing programs will be good
for one thing, and another program good for another...I look forward
to seeing new programs developed by others, so we can share how to
solve all these issues.
--

Val ;->