forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5339  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Fri Jul 27, 2001  10:57 am
Subject:  Typing and other input

It's interesting that in fact, inputing signs into a computer is a
whole different problem from the actual writing. Writing systems that use
the Roman alphabet have the ability to borrow from spoken-language typing
systems, but others do it differently. In addition to inventing
SignWriting, Valerie (with Richard Gleaves's help) also invented a way to
type.

Typing is a controversial thing for spoken languages as well, as
you can see from this web page:
<https://www.catskill.net/evolution/typing/>. In fact, the current QWERTY
keyboard layout that is used in English-speaking countries was designed to
be INefficient, to slow down a typist, so that the typewriter letters
wouldn't collide as often! And now it's become so popular that people
just keep using it.

On one level this means that habits will usually outdo
technology: as long as people are used to something they will keep using
it, even though it was designed to be inefficient! But when you introduce
a new technology, it's the best time to do it as well as you can.

What I also find interesting is that there's a whole group of
ergonomics professionals who work to make technology easier for
people. I'd hope that one of these ergonomics people has a chance to at
least consult on any new typing system for sign languages. I imagine that
there would be some who are willing to donate their time.

I had a discussion about this issue with Antonio Carlos when we
met in April. He said that he feels the best way to get SignWriting into
a computer is to draw it with a tablet and do optical character
recognition. I disagree, but I think the idea is worth notice.

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Message 5339  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index