forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5386  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann2
Date:  Tue Jul 31, 2001  9:13 am
Subject:  Re: skepticism about SignWriting

Dear Valerie and listmembers,

these days I am looking for many different sources to prepare a presentation
of SignWriting at a very important meeting of DEAF and in DEAF culture
interested people -

I had a close look at the developental stages and invention of the Braille -
system -

It is so amazing - there are sooo many relevant parallel experiences.

Poor Mr Braille has not been so lucky to see his invention - which is
accepted world wide today - to be accepted during his lifetime.
He even was forbidden to use it at school ! His books were burnt !!! Can you
imagine ??
People have had very emotional discussions and people who declared
themthelves to be the experts in teaching the blind to read and learn -
explained that the Braille -system will not be good for the blind !!!

Ha - it is really very, very intersting.

In the end the blind people never stopped to describe their positive
experiences with this new "6-dot - system" and got the possibility to use
it ...

Many of the questions they discussed at that time may be of interest in our
days when we discuss to create literature written in SW -

Stefan ;-)