forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5403  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Jul 31, 2001  10:56 pm
Subject:  Re: sharing....

>Val, are you using a Windows program on a Mac machine? If you are it may be
>that the underlying MacIntosh operating system is still saving files with two
>"forks", even though Windows doesn't treat files that way. Then, when you
>send it, you are sending both "forks" for the file and one appears with
>nothing, because Windows doesn't need it and the other is the file that's
>important.

SignWriting List
July 31, 2001

Fascinating! Thank you, Bill, for this idea. Although I am not using
a Windows emulator on a Mac, it sounds like to me, that your idea
about "two forks" makes sense anyway... and most likely is the clue.
You know so much!!

Here is how I work:

1. I work on a Mac. I prepare the GIFS or JPEGS on a Mac. I send the
email and attached files from my Mac to the Listserve. I am using Mac
Eudora software for email....which just may be the problem...perhaps
it is sending the "two forks"?

2. After I send the email and attachments...I then check to see if my
message and attachments come into the ListServe properly. First I
check the SW List Archives on my Mac. Then I check Hotmail on my Mac.
Then I go over to another computer...a Hewlett Packard which is an
IBM compatible...using Windows 98...and I access the SW List Archives
and I access hotmail. ALL of them give me clean graphics, and only
one file...nothing black like Stefan is experiencing. Nothing double.

So the question is...why would my Windows computer, which has no
connection to my Mac, see everything perfectly and Stefan's does not?

I have never once sent an attached file from a Windows computer. So
maybe I should try that and see if Stefan gets doubles. Why have
other people not complained?...Do you get doubles everytime you
receive an attachment from me, Bill?

It just may be that the old Eudora program is doing something to
create it...perhaps my MIME is not working properly with today's
current technology?

So don't go to too much trouble...but if you find out
something...please tell me. I can start sending everything from
Windows if need be...

And the new Mac Operating System 10 is now compatible with Linux, as
you may know. I have been considering switching to that, and using
their up-to-date internet software, which I understand is absolutely
wonderful...

So I bet I can experiment myself out of the problem!

Thanks once again, Bill -

--

Val ;->