forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5423  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Aug 6, 2001  4:45 pm
Subject:  Re: skepticism about SignWriting

Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
>Poor Mr Braille has not been so lucky to see his invention - which is
>accepted world wide today - to be accepted during his lifetime.
>He even was forbidden to use it at school ! His books were burnt !!!
>Can you imagine ??
>People have had very emotional discussions and people who declared
>themthelves to be the experts in teaching the blind to read and learn -
>explained that the Braille -system will not be good for the blind !!!

SignWriting List
August 6, 2001

Hello Everyone, and Stefan -

Thank you for sharing these thoughts with the SW List, Stefan.

You are right, that Louis Braille had a hard life. And like many
inventors, he was ridiculed in his lifetime. Like many new ideas,
Braille's writing system was not accepted until after the inventor's
death.

When people criticize me or others who use SignWriting, I oftentimes
explain the story about Louis Braille. I point out that I did not
expect SignWriting to be accepted in my lifetime either...

Only the internet has changed that fact. I am the fortunate one, to
be born at a time when I can reach people through computers.

Can you imagine? If Louis Braille had a way to access computers as a
blind man, and could reach many blind people all at once...He
probably would have seen his invention used in his lifetime too!

So thanks for mentioning Louis Braille, Stefan. He has been one of my
role models...a true hero in my eyes...
--

Val ;->