forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5425  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Aug 7, 2001  1:41 pm
Subject:  Re: Visitors from Nicaragua ;-)

Helen Stickney wrote:
> I have been fortunate enough to get to work in both Bluefields and Condega
and it is exciting to see how SignWriting has enhanced the accessibility of
knowledge in both schools.

SignWriting List
August 7, 2001

Hello Everyone!
Thank you, Helen, for the lovely message about Nicaragua and your work
with SignWriting. Yes...of course I remember you!

James told me a great story about how documents in SignWriting were
written in Bluefields, and then those documents were mailed to the other
school in Condega. Apparently the teachers in Condega were then able to
share the same SignWriting literature with the students there.

That is the test of a true writing system.

Before now, the only way to share Sign Language literature between two
schools would be to send a videotape of the signing to the other school.
That requires video equipment in both schools, which you may not have in
Nicaragua, plus a child cannot hold the videotape on their lap and study
the literature and learn to read from it.

James also stressed to me that more students read SignWriting than write it...

That is true for most written languages. Usually more people can read
than write. But at least written literature can be read and shared.

In the history of the written English language, the writing of the Bible
is the classic historic comparison...Monks could read and write, and
they wrote the Bible by hand...but the general population learned to
read from that, even though they could not write themselves.

So it sounds like you are doing an excellent job in Nicaragua, following
the natural evolution of writing systems...

  Message 5425  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index