forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5438  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann2
Date:  Sat Aug 11, 2001  3:03 pm
Subject:  forming own writing conventions

Dear Helen and SW-list members,

school has started again and there is not too much time right now --

I want to tell you -Helen - that your message has been very important to
me - and I studied it several times ! There is one aspect I would like to
discuss -

you wrote:

" ......I've learned practically everything I know about
> SignWriting from James and Anselmo. It has been very
> good for me to be part of this list --even though I
> don't usually send in my thoughts I mull over the
> discussion quite a deal in my mind. Perhaps I should
> be in contact more, because it seems that James,
> Anselmo, and I have begun forming our own writing
> conventions for tricky signs (perhaps I can share a
> few examples when I have time to attempt making a
> SignWriting GIF). Is it possible that as SignWriting
> becomes more and more used that each language might
> have it's own idiosyncrasies in terms of the way
> certain types of signs are written? I know that this
> is something the SW-list discussion may help to avoid,
> but I can't help thinking that it may be the natural
> course of written languages. What do you all think?

Well it would be soooo interesting to study the reasons for different
SW-styles in the world - if they really show up. Do you really need
different movement descriptions in different countries ? Why should you ? Or
is this a special thing - SW as a system to describe the performance during
signing (or imagined signing !) has to focus on typical differences between
different SL of the world ? What are these differences that afford
individual solutions ?
For now I can assume that all of us do suffer of a big handicap - that is
that only very few of the pioneers in the different countries were so lucky
to learn the conventions and principles of writing SW with materials that
show accepted - well written signs in our own Sign Language -
And very very few had been so lucky to learn SW from the scratch by the
inventor - Valerie Sutton - herself.
We can learn lots about this during our email-lessons ? One question from
elsewhere in the world is able to support all of us in becoming more
compentent scribes !

As long as there are very few competent SW - readers and more important -
very few SW - scribes - there is the risk that we ( I) develop my
individual style - with typical errors, mistakes, problematic spellings
just out of " not knowing better ". Time went bye and I found more and more
funny mistakes and irritating spellings from my beginning -
I could read these written signs though - and my readers were instructed to
read these signs the way I ment them to be -

The better the reading skills of "my readers" and the understanding of the
principles in SW the better is their friendly critical feed-back -
Some spellings are soooooo familiar to me that I can ±² see the obvious
mistake in the spelling until somebody asks me to explain the spelling ...
When I started with SW two years ago here in Germany - there has been no
single written DGS sign ... I learned from the Nicaraguan way of spelling to
underline names for persons and towns ...
Who knows - I am pretty confident that it is possible to exchange
experiences and spelling-conventions in the world- in order to keep the
SW-documents readable for everybody who is skilled in reading SW.
Anybody who moves his hands, shoulders, head just the way he does performs
nothing else but a movement. So why shouldn ±² we agree upon a special set of
symbols and spelling rules that describe this movement at it ±± best ?
I am looking forward to read some of your handwritten SW-documents. This
should help us to go forward in this discussion !
Well - the reason that I am so interested in international exchange is that
I would love to be able to read any movement description in the world -
Lateron with the help of the Databnk we should be able to understand the
meaning of more and more foreign movement descriptions in the context of the
specific SL of that country !

It would be a good step to discuss differences of spelling SW- signs in
detail. If there is anything I can do to help you in creating gifs of your
documents - please don ±² hesitate to ask for support. I`ll be glad to assist
!

Stefan ;-)